We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. You can choose to consent to enabling these cookies or reject enabling them. This can be done through your browser settings. You can find out more about cookies and changing the settings on our Cookies page.


Share this page

Look out for your annual rent change letter

From 1 April, your rent and service charge will change. We have sent you a letter about this so it’s important you read it. As you may remember the Government announced that registered providers of social housing in England had to reduce social housing rents by 1% a year for four years from 1 April 2016.  Although this does not apply to service charge, and some tenancy types were excluded, it’s important to check what your new rent charge will be as you may need to pay more or less than what you currently do. 

What to do if the amount you have to pay has changed? 

If you receive:

  • housing benefit it’s your responsibility to let your local authority’s housing benefit team know about your new rent and service charge.  Please report the changes as soon as possible as your Housing Benefit Team can only back date your claim for one month.
  • Universal Credit then you’ll need to report that your rent and service charge has changed using your online Universal Credit account.  Please report the changes as soon as possible as your claim can only be back dated by 1 month. 

If you pay your rent by:

  • Direct Debit then we’ll adjust your direct debit to take account of any rent and service charge increase or decrease.
  • standing order then you’ll need to amend your standing order with your bank. 

What to do if you have not received a letter?

If you have not received the letter from us about your rent and service charge by 31 March 2019, please contact our Income Team on 0300 373 3000 or send us an email to