Gas Safety Week 2020 – Meet the Gas and Compliance Team
14 September 2020
by Kevin Monaghan, Gas Servicing Manager
Gas Safety Week 2020 has arrived and this year Network Homes is promoting and raising awareness around the importance of not only gas safety but fire and electrical safety within our homes. I’m going to provide an overview of the Gas and Compliance team and all the important work we do to keep residents safe in their homes.
Meet the Gas team!
The gas team consists of five members of staff and we cover all aspects from managing domestic gas servicing and maintenance to looking after mechanical plant rooms and commercial heat networks across SW9 Community Housing and Network Homes.
As Gas Servicing Manager I oversee each of our specific disciplines are being implemented to the highest standards as it’s crucial we keep residents safe in their homes. I play a proactive role ensuring heating and hot water is available to residents 365 days a year and work to fix problems swiftly.Kevin Monaghan, Gas Servicing Manager
The gas team consists of the below members of staff:
- Izzy McDonald Gas Compliance Officer - Responsible for gas servicing and ensuring certification is up to date. She drives the compliance process ensuring every home has an up to date gas safety certificate by working closely with our gas contractors and in-house legal team.
- Victor Okechukwu, Senior Gas Inspector – Responsible for mechanical plant, heat networks and commercial distribution services. Victor is currently project managing the installation of two new commercial boilers to heat 270 homes via the heat interface units (HIUs)at Atrium Point in Greenford. He’s also responsible for maintaining mechanical water services, drainage and ventilation system.
- Michael Clarke, Domestic Gas Inspector – Responsible for gas servicing and ensure our legal process is being followed correctly and attends resident’s properties to make sure the contractors works are carried out to the highest standard.
- Dominic Asamboa, Gas Contracts Officer – Responsible for areas of risk including asbestos and legionella. Ensures water systems in key workers, student accommodation and care homes are properly risk assessed and regularly inspected. Also maintains the asbestos asset register and instructs specialists licenced contractors to carry out removal works.
To find out more about the Gas and Compliance team checkout the below video featuring myself (Kevin Monaghan, Gas Servicing Manager) and Victor Okechukwu, Senior Gas Inspector!
What is a gas safety check and why do we need to carry them out?
A gas check involves the Gas Safe registered heating engineer assessing the safety of appliances within a home and checking that the system is working as it should. They will check:
- Ventilation passages are not blocked and are in fully working order
- The safety devices are operating efficiently
- The appliance is burning at the correct operating pressure
- Harmful gases are transferring cleanly outside of the home
The gas safety check takes up to an hour and it’s important because carbon monoxide kills. Problems with boiler safety such as blocked ventilation tubes will cause carbon monoxide to build up and if this is being released inside of the home, it is a serious health risk - so it’s always better to get your gas system checked. Don’t leave it to chance – protect your household!
Keeping gas servicing which is a legal obligation for Network Homes has been a real challenge in terms of gaining access where residents are vulnerable and shielding. We initially managed to achieve 100% for March and April which was one the strongest returns for an G15 housing association.
Our team has been working tirelessly to communicate with residents to gain access despite many of the legal courts shutting down or offering a reduced service during lockdown. We are aware of different needs for residents and try to offer a practical solution to ensure the risks are managed by carrying out the gas safety check within 12 months.
Keeping you and your home safe is important to us.
If you rent one of our properties, we will inspect your property every year to check and service your heating appliances and smoke detectors.
This is to make sure that they are safe and working properly. For more info and further advice visit here: Gas Safety