Having clean water in your home is vital to your health and wellbeing. This leaflet explains what you need to do to keep your water clean and safe.
Six simple steps to keeping your water clean and safe
- Keep your hot water storage temperature at a minimum of 60°C/140°F. You can control the temperature using your hot water cylinder or combination boiler.
- If your home has been empty for several days, run the taps for a few moments to flush them through until the water cools down or heats up to the correct temperature.
- When rinsing food or other items, do not allow them to come into contact with the spout of the taps.
- Clean showerheads and taps regularly to prevent lime scale from building up.
- After cleaning showerheads and taps, always run the water for several moments to remove any cleaning product residue.
- Run hot water through the taps or showers for about 5-10 minutes once every three months.