Our Contact Centre will be closed for training on Friday 12 August. If you have an emergency repair to report on Friday, our out of hours service will be available to help you so please call on 0300 373 3000. We will be back open as usual at 8am on Monday 15 August.

Taking in a lodger

If you have tenancy with Network Homes, you may allow anyone to live with you in your home, but you must let us know in writing first. If you have a lease with Network Homes, you will not need to let us know if you have someone living with you but we do need to update your household details and we want you to understand the implications of offering your accommodation to others.

You will not be able to include your lodger on your tenancy agreement and if you receive benefits, you will need to check if having another person living with you will affect your benefits especially Housing Benefit entitlement. You will need to report a change in circumstances as soon as possible through your local council if you have someone new living with you. You can find out more about how to report a change in circumstances on the gov.uk website: Housing Benefit: Report a change of circumstances - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

You must also ensure that you have the space available to accommodate another person living in your home and that you do not make your home statutorily overcrowded. You will need to check that your home will not be classed as overcrowded by law if you have another person living with you. For more information about standard for overcrowding visit your local council website or the Shelter England website: Check if your home is overcrowded by law - Shelter England

In addition, it will be your legal responsibility to check the immigration status of anyone who is 18 or over that you plan to have in your home as lodger. You could be fined by the Government if you do not do so. You can find out more information about this and what you should consider before taking in lodger on the Citizens advice website at www.citizensadvice.org.uk.


Safe Space

Together we can end domestic abuse