A mutual exchange is where you ‘swap’ homes with another tenant, who can be a Network Homes tenant or a tenant of another housing association or local council.
Is mutual exchange for you?
Mutual exchange might be for you if you:
- Live in an overcrowded home
- Are under-occupying your home
- Want to move to a different area
You may not be given permission to exchange if you:
- Are in rent arrears
- Have legal action being taken against you
- Have a history of anti-social behaviour
How to find your new home
We are a member of Homeswapper, an online service which matches tenants to suitable properties. This service is free and you can find out more at www.homeswapper.co.uk. We have computers available in our Wembley and Hertford offices if you do not have access to one.
You can search for properties based on location, minimum and maximum number of bedrooms, and rent. You can also filter your search based on type of tenancy, special provision, level of urgency and property features.
You must enter information about your current home into the website. The more information you put, the more likely you will be successful. You need to include information such as:
- Type of property
- Special features
After you have found a home to exchange you must apply to us for permission. Both you and the tenant you are swapping with must complete a form. You can download the form at the bottom of the page.
Your application may be rejected if you:
- Apply for a property that is too large or too small
- Apply for a property designed for someone with a disability and you do not need this facility
- Apply for a property that is part of a scheme such as older persons housing, and you don’t meet the conditions for the scheme.
Live in London?
You need to send the form back to our Wembley office.
Live in Herts or out of London?
You need to send the form back to our Hertford office.