Network Homes’ Equality and Diversity Engagement Group are Housing Heroes!
25 June 2019
We’re celebrating as our Equality and Diversity Engagement Group (EDEG) have been crowned Equality, diversity and inclusion team of the year at the Housing Heroes Awards.
Held at the CIH Housing 2019 conference in Manchester, the Housing Heroes Awards celebrate the best of people in the housing sector, who support housing associations to do what they do.
Network Homes’ EDEG put together the business’ first Equality and Diversity (E&D) Strategy and Action Plan in 2018. It focuses on diversity and inclusion for customers, the community, and staff ensuring they are free from prejudice and discrimination. The Rt Hon Dawn Butler, Shadow Women & Equalities Secretary and Brent Central MP, helped launch our strategy at a Black History Month event.
To help people learn about different cultures and identities, EDEG held a succession of events throughout the year. Over 500 people engaged in E&D events such as:
- LGBT History Month – #LoveisLove party and LGBT exhibition visit.
- Pride Month – Film screening, and Lunch and Learn.
- Mental Health Awareness Week – mindfulness, yoga and talks from those affected or helping those affected allowing stakeholders to identify and support customers better.
- Black History Month – International Food Day, Windrush discussion, panel events with speakers including Rastamouse author Michael De Souza reading for younger residents and customers.
- International Women’s Day – Panel discussion and developing the new HARTbeat Aspire talent development programme.
I am so delighted that we have achieved this recognition. We’ve got a great team of people committed to supporting equality, diversity and inclusion among our staff and residents. It’s increasingly important that we all make sure our organisations and the communities we work in are safe spaces for people to be who they are and live the way they choose. We’re proud to support that aim.Tabitha Kassem, Director of Governance, Compliance and Legal, and EDEG Senior Manager Lead