Celebrate Pride with us
01 June 2022
Our LGBTQ+ Equality Group are hosting a resident event in our Wembley office on Thursday 14 July. This is an opportunity for colleagues and residents to get together and celebrate the 50th anniversary of Pride in the UK. It will be a celebration of all the progress that has been made over the last 50+ years towards a more equal society for LGBTQ+ people.
The LGBTQ+ community represents who identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, and those Questioning their gender or sexuality, it also represents other identities not specifically covered in the five other initials (+). Whether you identify as a member of the LGBTQ+ community or an ally*, all residents are invited to this event!
About the event
Stonewall, one of the largest LGBTQ+ rights organisations in Europe, has chosen this year’s Pride theme of exploring the history of Pride, along with some often-overlooked identities, to show how we are always stronger, better and prouder together.
Our Pride event will build on these reflections, providing a joyous and safe space to have an open conversation about LGBTQ+ equality within the communities you live in. We will also explore how our colleague-led LGBTQ+ Equality Group can effectively engage with and include residents in the work we do.
The event will inform the development of our LGBTQ+ resident group which will:
- Champion LGBTQ+ equality in the neighbourhoods you live in
- Tackle any potential discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity
- Facilitate regular communication between Network Homes and LGBTQ+ residents and allies.
We hope that establishing a residents-led LGBTQ+ Equality Group will encourage people to feel comfortable raising concerns about any form of homophobia, biphobia, or transphobia they might come across in their neighbourhood. Just like our Pride event, our LGBTQ+ resident group welcomes all identities and sexual orientations or preferences.
Our Pride event is a chance for you to bring any ideas for the group to the table.
Where and when?
Date and time: Thursday 14 July, 6pm to 8pm
The event will be held in the mezzanine area at The Hive, 22 Wembley Park Blvd, Wembley HA9 0HP.
- 6pm - 6.15pm: Welcoming attendees with free snacks and soft drinks in our mezzanine.
- 6.15pm - 6.30pm: Introduction from our colleague-led LGBTQ+ Equality Group, with reflections on the history of Pride and LGBTQ+ rights in the UK over the last 50+ years.
- 6.30pm - 6.45pm: Introduction to our LGBTQ+ resident group and why you should join.
- 6.45pm - 7.15pm: Workshop about the LGBTQ+ resident group- an opportunity to inform the mission and direction of the group and how it will champion LGBTQ+ equality in the communities you live in.
- 7.15pm - 8pm: Celebration of the 50th Anniversary of Pride in the UK, with snacks and a range of light refreshments.
Sign up here or by clicking the button below:
*For reference, the term 'ally' commonly refers to people who identify as straight/cis who actively advocate for LGBTQ+ people and campaigns, supporting equal rights and gender equality, and helping challenge homophobia, biphobia and transphobia.