No one should be lonely at this time of the year
15 December 2020
Loneliness is something which can affect you no matter your age. It is important to remember you are not alone and there are ways to help lift this. Whether you are tech savvy and can access online events or prefer telephone calls, there's organisations that cover a large range of resources you can access that are COVID safe. If you know anyone who can benefit from the services we’ve listed below, or who are feeling lonely, please share the information with them.
Activities and organisations
For older people
The feeling of isolation can increase during Christmas, so several charities have dedicated campaigns for this season.
- Reengage is a charity for people over the age of 75 living on their own. This year their Community Christmas directory has COVID-safe ‘acts of kindness’ to bring communities together. You can use their interactive map to find activities near you.
- The Good Care Group has published community Christmas activities, as well as other great charities aiming to help older people at Christmas.
- The Royal Voluntary Service has created a guide for winter health and wellbeing, which is focused on older people and those living alone.
For young people
- Young Minds is a charity focusing on children and young people's mental health. You can find information on their website about looking after your wellbeing during lockdown.
- Barnardo’s is a children's which helps, children, young people, parents and carers. They have information on their website that will help young people take care of their mental health in self-isolation as well as combat loneliness in lockdown.
- Government advice - Let's Talk Loneliness focuses on tackling loneliness in the UK. The website has advice and resources you can access if you're experiencing loneliness.
- NHS advice - The NHS website has information about what to do if you're feeling lonely and information about how to help an older person who is experiencing loneliness.
You can also check out our page Help for loneliness which has a list of organisations that support people experiencing loneliness.