Top tips for keeping safe in your home
05 December 2019
There’s a whole host of things you can do to keep yourself, your family and your neighbours safe in your building. So we’ve put together this list of top tips to remind you of what you can do.
- Remove all items from communal areas and escape routes as these could cause an obstruction in an emergency – this is our policy and we take a zero tolerance approach.
- Remove flammable items such as barbeques and patio heaters from balconies.
- Don’t smoke on balconies.
- Don’t use fireworks, sparklers or anything similar either inside, in communal areas or on balconies.
- Test your smoke alarms weekly to make sure they’re still working and the batteries haven’t run out.
There are also a few things you can do at Christmas too:
- Make sure you don’t overload your sockets with Christmas lights etc.
- Turn off your lights and unplug them before you go to bed.
- Don’t leave lit candles unattended and make sure they’re fully out before you go to bed.
Don’t put decorations near open flames or heaters. Remember, fire safety is all of our responsibility. If you see your neighbours not following this guidance please do remind them of it or get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
And, if you have any questions relating to fire safety, please contact the Fire Safety team on 0300 373 3000 or email@example.com. You can also watch our video or download our Fire Safety in Your Homes booklet from our website at www.networkhomes.org.uk/firesafety.