Follow on: 'What does Sustainability mean to you?' online event
11 March 2021
58 residents registered for our ‘What does Sustainability mean to you?’ event with 20 attendees on the day – the highest level of attendance so far!
Thank you to all residents who attended our sustainability event it was an opportunity to hear from Network’s Sustainability Group including our Chair, Peter Benz (Executive Director of Finance), and Community Ambassador, Nichola who co-hosted the event.
The aim of the event was to get feedback on our newly published Sustainability Strategy and find out the environmental areas where Network can improve as an organisation and within the communities we serve!
Residents were encouraged to prepare for the event by reading the below content:
- Network’s Five-Year Sustainability Strategy 2021-24
- 2020 SHIFT Sustainability Assessment - How did Network score? – A report benchmarking us as an organisation against other Housing Providers.
During the event the following questions were discussed:
- What does sustainability mean to you?
- In terms of energy efficiency, what efforts can we all make to be more sustainable including residents and Network Homes?
- How can Network Homes engage with residents on sustainability and environmental issues?
The main feedback from residents:
- Saving and conserving energy in your home – More info on impacts of fuel poverty and excessive costs of heating homes, insulation and double glazing.
- Taking personal ownership and responsibility - Raise awareness on the Sustainability Strategy and actions residents can take to be more energy efficient, such as waste management. Promote this across all communication platforms to ensure accessible for all.
- Empower Sustainability Champions – Like Community Ambassadors, these could be a point of contact for their community and work alongside The Resident Engagement Team. They could introduce sustainable initiatives such as vertical gardens and wildflower meadows.
- Partnerships with Contractors - Encouraging their involvement and consideration on how they can be more sustainable.
- Transport – Network could explore how we adapt car parks to ensure electric charging stations are provided and improved cycle storage.
The feedback from the event will be presented to the Environmental Sustainability Group. Keep an eye out on our website for further information and other sustainability initiatives you can get involved in.